Thursday, September 6, 2012

A Touch of Dutch -

This little Cafe, situated in an intriguing Arcade in Berwick promised me so much.....


Who could resist the first slice of that awesome looking Apple Pie? - Well I did - at $7:00 a slice (including cream on the side) it was a bit out of my price range seeing I had no one to share it with, and still had to put a Coffee with it.  So I settled for the equally impressive looking, yet smaller Strawberry and Passion Fruit Tart and my usual Half Strength Latte.


Oh dear...... I know that asking for a Half Strength (or Weak) Latte is sacrilege to the majority of Coffee connoisseurs around the world BUT it is the way I drink my Coffee.  - I leave the Short Blacks, Ristrettos  and Macchiatos to other members of my family.  
My Latte arrived -eventually- with at least 2 inches of 'soap suds' foam on top of an insipid lukewarm drink that was vaguely coffee flavoured.  Perhaps the Barresta was new and was learning 'on the job'? - Perhaps... but that was no excuse for the barely cooked pastry that was holding my tart, which fell apart when I tried to cut it.
And the absence on the menu of those beautiful spiced Speculaas biscuits that are so Dutch!  
Oh well, the little shop, accessible through the Cafe sells, amongst other Dutch related items, the carved moulds, should I decide to make my own.






1 comment:

  1. There's just no excuse for bad coffee in Melbourne - even in the suburbs. And as for how you take your coffee...I'm fussy too!

    I'm really strict about cakes and slices when I go out too - I usually never have them ( I certainly don't need them :() but it's really down to the fact that I've learnt a lot of cafes get in cakes that look so good....and taste of cold margarine.

    ReplyDelete