Saturday, September 30, 2017

UNTERSBERG

I do not know her name
I do not know her Story
I do not speak her Language

I do know she was out with her Grandson
and his young Family
I do know that she was very comfortable.

I wondered just how many times she had made the trip up the Mountain, in whose shadow I am sure she had lived.

Did she watch them build the Cable Car that was about to take us 1,320 meters up that mountain?

I was just slightly terrified
She - was ecstatic!









It was a beautiful Day 
and many people climbed aboard the Cable Car Gondola 
for the 10 minute ride up the side of Untersberg. 
(It was VERY cosy!)









We placed our Faith in these massive Cables
and their Anchor Points to get us safely to the top.




And when we got to the top
there was...

STRUDEL!

...of course there was, 

but tempting as it sounded we had another goal in sight.






As is the tradition with Mountains - 
there is often a Cross at the Summit.

We noticed a very elaborate Metal Cross just above the Cable Car Cabin - but this is not where I want to go.








Onward we went
beyond the Broad and Easy road 
to where the Path in places was almost nonexistent
Scrambling over rocks and broken steps





Past Memorials to those who had gone before
and Not returned.




Catching glimpses of Snow in the shaded mountain crevices
even after the Summer heat had passed.





Until we reached our Goal

and the words read
"In the Cross is Salvation"



When I finally rested at the foot of the Cross
 I thought of my Dad and how I would not be able to share this adventure with him. 
How he would smile as he would see the Parable 
in my Journey to the Cross.






Was it worth the Hike?

With Views like this...
You Bet!















Untersberg is the Northernmost Massif of the Limestone Berchtesgaden Alps 
which span the border between Austria and Germany. 
It is easily accessible by Bus from Salzburg.
Bus Fare and return Cable Car rides are included on the Salzburg Card.






1 comment: